Sunday, August 24, 2008

Cooper's 1st Surgery

On Friday Cooper went in for a T & A (tonsils and adenoids). He was really excited to go in the morning all dressed in his dinosaur pajamas. We got to the surgery center and signed him in and he got a little bear. He was pretty excited! He was having fun pretending to be a dog and not too long after he started playing we were called back. We put his gown on (which he did not like) and sat and watched cartoons for a while. He was getting kind of nervous realizing something was going to happen but, just not so sure what! The doctor and anesthesiologist came and talked to us and told us what was going to happen and then left and we waited a little bit more. The nurse came and asked Cooper if he could take him for a ride on the bed and Cooper said, "No" So, the man asked if he could hold him. Coop again said, "No". The nice man picked up Cooper's blanket and told him he was going to take his blanket for a ride on the bed and Cooper said, "No, you hold me!" So, off they went to give Coop his IV. I was really sad and nervous that some man was taking my little boy back into surgery and I couldn't even got watch! ( I already knew I couldn't go but, still!) They took us to a room and Nick and I waited for only about 30 minutes and then the doctor came in and explained how the surgery went. Cooper had a little more bleeding than expected and so it took a little longer but, all went well. I was sitting in the little room and I could hear some mumbling and whimpering and I looked at Nick and said, 'Oh, there's Coop...I think!" Wow, I never knew I wouldn't know for sure if that was him or not! He sounded the same but a little different. (from all the swelling I'm sure!) It was so sad to see him all out of it and in pain. He didn't really complain of a sore throat but, that his hand hurt, where his IV was. The post-op nurse Suzie was so awesome. We were the only ones in recovery so we just kinda hung out and visited with her while Cooper woke up a little more.
We were discharged and on our way home! Yay! I dropped Cooper and Nick off at home so Cooper could rest and went to Wal-Mart to fill his prescriptions. I picked up a little present and balloon for him for being such a brave little guy! When he finally got up (2 hours later) he opened his present and was so excited for the motorcycle. He played with it up and down the couch and Nick's arm! Later into the day he was running around, jumping, eating bread, asking for hot dogs and pizza (of course, he didn't get to eat those) and acting like nothing had ever happened. Saturday afternoon it started to catch up to him....Poor guy is miserable! He hasn't really complained very much except for the food he wants to eat (pizza, hot dogs, croutons) and I won't let him. Today was kind of a rough day. I went to sacrament meeting at my brother's ward because he was being put into the bishopric and then hurried home so Nick could make it to our ward to teach Primary. Cooper didn't like the idea that he couldn't go. (I left while he was in the shower so he didn't even notice but, when Nick left Coop hurried and got his church shoes so he could go with him but, he had to stay home. He is not feeling well even though he will tell you he is but, we will hopefully see some progress this week! :) Thanks to everyone for your concern and support. Also, for the yummy dinner, popsicles and Cooper's fun new toys and balloons. He LOVES all his new fun stuff!
We love you all and appreciate it so much!
Posted by Picasa

13 comments:

Dave and Natasha said...

Oh, poor guy! It sounds like he is being such a big boy about it though! I don't think Aaralyn would be half as tough! Hopefully he's back to normal this week!

Staci said...

I hope he gets feeling better quick. Sounds like he was one brave little guy!

The Weston's said...

ohh that is so hard! we had to take Everett in for a surgery and it was sooooo hard to watch them take him away through the doors. I don't know how people deal with more.

*MARY* said...

They should make dinosaur hospital gowns. What little kid these days likes bugs bunny and the tasmanian devil?
Glad everything went well :)

HeatherStout said...

We've been through a few surgeries with Jada and as a parent, there is nothing more nerve-wracking than having your child out cold in the hands of a complete (and hopefully skilled) doctor. I'm glad everything turned out great and I hope he feels better soon!

The Richards said...

What a trooper! Hope he starts feeling better soon. Glad everything went good though.

Jason and Joanna said...

Coop is so cute! I'm so glad he did as good as he did! Love the little gown :) He looked super happy on Saturday morning! What a trooper!

Gayle said...

Poor little guy! That must be heart-breaking to watch him be so miserable, and that he can't eat any of his favorite foods. That was a cute idea with the balloons and motocycle. Hopefully Cooper will get better soon.

The Hyde's said...

Glad Coopers surgery went well and I hope he is feeling better soon!

Anonymous said...

oh poor thing!! I hope hes doing well!!

Megan Andersen said...

What a brave little guy--mommy too!

~..kass..~ said...

wow what a brave little guy!!! I had mine out at about 4 and still remember how scary it was. I am very impressed! He looks SO much like his daddy!! wow, and you are so beautiful

Rae said...

Hi,
poor Coop. You guys are soo nice.
Thanks soooo much for doing my blog.
Thanks!!!